The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) continues to issue advice and information on the novel coronavirus infections detected in Wuhan, Hubei Province.
The CHP has issued the following advice, as many people travel over the Chinese New Year holidays. When travelling to countries/areas with possible transmission, please consider the following:
- Perform hand hygiene frequently, especially before touching the mouth, nose or eyes; after touching public installations such as handrails or door knobs; or when hands are contaminated by respiratory secretion after coughing or sneezing
- Wash hands with liquid soap and water, and rub for at least 20 seconds. Then rinse with water and dry with a disposable paper towel. If hand washing facilities are not available, or when hands are not visibly soiled, performing hand hygiene with alcohol-based handrub is an effective alternative
- Cover mouth and nose with tissue paper when sneezing or coughing. Dispose of soiled tissues into a lidded rubbish bin, then wash hands thoroughly
- When having respiratory symptoms, students should not attend school, avoid going to crowded places and seek medical advice promptly
- When travelling outside Hong Kong, avoid visiting hospitals. If necessary, put on a surgical mask and observe strict personal and hand hygiene
- Avoid making close contact with patients, especially those with symptoms of acute respiratory infections
- Avoid touching animals (including game), poultry / birds or their droppings. Avoid visiting wet markets, live poultry markets or farms
- Do not consume game meat and do not patronize food premises where game meat is served
- Adhere to food safety and hygiene rules such as avoiding consuming raw or undercooked animal products, including milk, eggs and meat, or foods which may be contaminated by animal secretions, excretions (such as urine) or contaminated products, unless they have been properly cooked, washed or peeled
We monitor student absences so if a doctor’s diagnosis is given, please inform your child’s tutor, with a copy of the doctor’s note for our records. .
We do not encourage or endorse the use of a face mask at school. Please take the necessary precautions and if you’re unwell, stay at home. Students with fever 37.5 °C or higher or respiratory problems should stay at home until 48 hours fever free (without the use of medication)
For any health related advice or information, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
School Health Professional